We are delighted to announce the winners of the 2022 AFI Global Financial Inclusion Awards!
The dedication and leadership of AFI network members in accelerating financial inclusion were recognized when winners and finalists of the AFI 2022 Global Financial Inclusion Awards took the main stage to mark a celebratory day at the Global Policy Forum on 8 September at the Dead Sea, Jordan.
In its first edition, the AFI Global Financial Inclusion Awards celebrated financial policymakers and regulators who have gone above and beyond to develop and implement high-impact policies that are improving access to, usage and quality of formal financial services to reach the last mile of vulnerable populations.
We honor and celebrate policymakers and regulators that have demonstrated exceptional commitments and achievements to advancing financial inclusion in their countries and bringing their learnings and experiences generously to the AFI network to help their peers learn and advance with them, said AFI Executive Director Dr Alfred Hannig in his opening speech at the AFI Global Financial Inclusion Awards ceremony.
This year, AFI Global Financial Inclusion Awards recognized and celebrated achievements in three categories:
- The Nestor Espenilla Jr. Financial Inclusion Innovation Award
- The Global Youth Financial Inclusion Award
- The AFI Peer Leadership Award
The first two are new high-level awards that AFI introduced in 2022 and required members to nominate themselves. (For more details, please visit AFI Global Financial Inclusion Awards page).
The 2022 AFI Global Financial Inclusion Awards winners:
- The Nestor Espenilla Jr. Financial Inclusion Innovation Award was taken home by the Central Bank of Egypt (CBE) for demonstrating commitment and leadership to foster new technologies and innovations to drive financial inclusion and for its innovative policies and use of structured approach through the adoption of a National Fintech & Innovation Strategy.
Teresita Espenilla, the spouse of the late Governor Espenilla Jr. hands the Nestor Espenilla Jr. Financial Inclusion Innovation Award to CBE – represented by Eng. Ehab Nasr, Assistant Sub-Governor for Payment Systems
Finalists for this category:
Superintendencia de Bancos de la República Dominicana
Central Bank of Kenya
Central Bank of Jordan
Banco Central de Timor-Leste
- The Global Youth Financial Inclusion Award was won by the Palestine Monetary Authority (PMA) recognizing their achievements amongst regulators worldwide in advancing the financial inclusion of youth. PMA has championed financial inclusion of youth, embedding it as a focus in its national financial inclusion strategy. PMA also introduced a holistic approach that includes an extensive set of initiatives covering awareness-raising activities, financial services measuring and benchmarking initiatives.
PMA’s Governor, Dr Feras Milhem receiving the Award from Governor of the Republic of North Macedonia, Anita Angelovska-Bezhoska
Finalists for this category:
Czech National Bank
Superintendencia de la Economía Popular y Solidaria de Ecuador.
Central Bank of Egypt
About AFI Global Financial Inclusion Awards
- The Nestor Espenilla Jr. Financial Inclusion Innovation Award – Supported by AFI’s partner, Flourish Ventures, this is a new high-level AFI Award that honors the memory and legacy of Governor Nestor Espenilla Jr. of Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas, a founding member of AFI and a global champion of innovation and inclusion. This prestigious Award aims to recognize AFI members that demonstrate outstanding commitment towards innovation and use of technology to advance financial inclusion. This year the winner also received a USD 50,000 award to implement an innovation project that advances financial inclusion.
- The Global Youth Financial Inclusion Award – This is a new high-level AFI Award that acknowledges and recognizes financial policymakers and regulators across the globe that are undertaking impactful initiatives, policies or regulations to accelerate the financial inclusion of youth. It is open to AFI members and non-member financial sector regulators and policymakers from any country.
AFI awards based on members’ commitments and contributions to the AFI network:
Finalists and winners of these awards are selected by the AFI Management Unit based on members’ commitment contributions to the AFI network activities over the past year.
Peer Leadership Awards recognize AFI members that have demonstrated outstanding commitments to the AFI network over the past year in the following categories:
- Maya Declaration Commitment Award – This Award is given to one AFI member institution that has promoted the use of the Maya Declaration Commitment platform through making specific Financial Inclusion targets, updating the implementation progress of these targets and publicly sharing its implementation lessons.
Winner: Central Bank of Egypt
- Institutional Leadership (institutional) – This Award is given to one AFI member institution that encapsulated the AFI DNA through its leadership role, active engagement, and commitment in the AFI network during the past year.
Winner: Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas
- Technical Leadership (individual) – This Award is given to individual staff of AFI member institutions who have demonstrated leadership in contributing high-quality technical inputs towards global, regional and working group outputs, including knowledge products, peer-reviews, and AFI events and training.
To view more photos, visit our Flickr profile.